The quaint village of Monopoli, with its white-washed stone buildings and sculptured churches, is around 30km south of Bari in Puglia in Italy’s famous Apulia region – on a map you will find it in Italy’s heel.
“Monos Polis” means singularly unique and what makes it so even today is its sensational coast line that hems the Apulian coast because hidden within are ribbons of sand that can be found hidden in small coves and the low limestone rocks.
Some are right in the city, others a little further out. Some have a beach club with umbrellas and sunbeds to rent, others are hidden and not easy to reach. The further away you move from the town the more the coves alternate between beautiful low cliffs and spectacular caves.
Here is a list of the 11 most beautiful beaches near Monopoli.
Monopoli Town: Cala Porta Vecchia
Cala Porta Vecchia is a small cove at the foot of the town’s fortified walls and from the centre it is the easiest beach to find. It is a strip of sand that flows under the old walls and has free access. It’s a very scenic location that has a lovely promenade too.
Monopoli Town: Cala Porto Bianco
The cove of Cala Porto Bianco is easily accessible from the road and from the cycle path. It is a small patch of sand hidden among the low rocks, with hotels on both headlands. There is on the road facing the bay to satisfy your thirst.
Monopoli Town: Cala Porto Rosso
Cala Porto Rosso is a small free beach in south Monopoli, just after Cala Porto Bianco. Along the southern edge of the beach, there are large rock walls and a lawn where it is possible to stay and from where there is direct access to the sea. The water is high and cold and is served by is a nice little with music. The place is definitely cool.
Northern Monopoli: Carla Susca
Cala Susca is a very small but easily accessible cove. Around there is a long low rocky stretch where you can relax and sunbathe or go into the water.
Northern Monopoli: Carla Monaci
Cala Monaci and the Green Cave – another inlet accessible from the car park, this time from the north. The small beach is very easy to reach and there are several covered picnic tables above.
Planning where to stay in Monopoli?
Our sponsor, Puglia Paradise , have three villas near Monopoli available to rent: Villa Incanto nel Blu, Villa Incanto a Mare and Trullo Due Ulivi.
All three villas have stunning private pools. Villa Incanto nel Blu and Villa Incanto a Mare are both stunning modern properties both less than 2km from the sea. Trullo Due Ulivi is a traditional villa encircled by stone walls and very old olive trees and is 16km from the nearest beach.
Southern Monopoli: Calamarena
Calamarena is probably one of the best beaches on the southern coast of Monopoli, and the locals love it. Some describe this stretch of coastline are “intact” and “wild”.
Here you can enjoy crystal clear blue water, the sound of the sea away from the crowd, a spectacular view of the center of Monopoli but there are also sunbeds and umbrellas to rent and a with a menu of typical Apulian dishes. If you love simplicity and nature, this beach is for you.
Puglia, Italy is known for its stunning coastline and beautiful beaches. If you're looking for beaches near Monopoli, here are 11 options to consider:
1. Cala Porto Bianco: A small cove with crystal-clear turquoise waters and a rocky shoreline. It offers a picturesque setting and is located close to the town center of Monopoli.
2. Cala Paradiso: Situated near the old town of Monopoli, this sandy beach is surrounded by cliffs and offers calm waters for swimming.
3. Porto Ghiacciolo: Located a short distance from Monopoli, this beach features rocky cliffs, a small cave, and clear waters ideal for snorkeling.
4. Cala Susca: A secluded pebble beach surrounded by cliffs, Cala Susca is perfect for those seeking a peaceful and unspoiled spot for sunbathing and swimming.
5. Lido Santo Stefano: This beach, located in the neighboring town of Polignano a Mare, offers a mix of sandy areas and rocky sections. It's known for its clear waters and beautiful views.
6. Cala Porto Rosso: Another lovely beach near Polignano a Mare, Cala Porto Rosso is a small cove with cliffs and crystal-clear waters. It can be accessed by boat or a short hike.
7. Cala Fetente: Situated between Polignano a Mare and Monopoli, this hidden gem is a small pebble beach nestled in a cove. It's a tranquil