Photo Of The Day By Christopher Mills

Photo Of The Day By Christopher Mills

Today’s Photo of the Day is “Tranquil” by Christopher Mills. Location: Haystack Mountain, Aroostook County, Maine.

“The Milky Way from Haystack Mountain as a car lights up Rt. 163 down below,” describes Mills.

Want to get your images in the running for a Photo of the Day feature? Photo of the Day is chosen from various galleries, including and. Assignments have weekly winners that are featured on the website  homepage,and . To get your photos in the running, all you have to do is submit them.

European settlement in the area that is now Medford began when 900 acres (360 ha) of land was sold to Samuel Coles in 1670. Within the next few years, the Braddock, Prickett, Stratton, Branin, and Wilkins families moved to the area (many of whom continue to live in the area today). Upper Evesham, as it was then known, continued to grow from scattered homesteads into a small village. Many of the buildings and roads built between the sale of the land and the r are still in existence, including Oliphant's Mill, Christopher's Mill, and the Shamong Trail (now known as Stokes Road).

In 1820, when the post office opened, the area was officially called Medford of Upper Evesham, using a name that had been pushed by Mark Reeve, a developer who had recently visited On March 1, 1847, Medford Township was "set apart from" by Act of theThe first township meeting was held at the Cross Roads and Church Road) on March 9, 1847. The seat of township government remained there for several years. Part of Medford Township was taken on February 19, 1852, to form On March 14, 1860, portions were taken to formThe borders remained unchanged until May 17, 1939, when was formed.

A thriving glass-making industry developed in Medford as early as 1825 with a glass-making furnace that manufactured window panes. By 1850, William Porter was operating a glass factory on a triangle of property formed by South Main Street, Mill Street, and Trimble Street. Glass-making operations continued on the property throughout the 1880s under company names including Medford Glass Works and Star Glass, which at its peak employed about 250 workers and built up a "company town" of sorts with houses for owners and managers and housing for workers.

A company store enabled workers to exchange for food and necessities. Glass-making operations ended around 1925, and the factory was torn down by the mid-1940s. Today, many of the nearly 30 workers' homes are neatly kept on Trimble and Mill Streets, as well as the owners' / managers' residence at 126 South Main Street and the company store at 132 South Main Street.

(1812–1882), a self-educated African-American physician known as "the Black Doctor of the Pines," lived and treated patients in Medford. Dr. Still's home was torn down in 1932, but his remaining office building was purchased for preservation by the State of New Jersey in 2006. Today it is the Dr. James Still Historic Office Site and Education Center.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.