Sometimes I scroll through the rabokki hashtag on Tiktok to see how other people make their rabokki.
Inevitably I get hungry, and ask Mike if he wants to share a bowl so I don’t feel so guilty eating a huge amount of carbs when most people are snug in bed. Always so worth it though!
What is rabokki?
Rabokki is a popular Korean street food that is ramen and in one dish. Ramen and rice cakes is carb on carb action and I am here for it
Ramen + tteokbokki = rabokki!
Sometimes it’s called rapokki as well. It’s a sweet and spicy, super savory delicious dish, perfect for warming up with and a quick satisfying meal.
The combination of instant noodles, Korean rice cakes, and savory spicy-sweet sauce comes together incredibly quickly so it’s great when you’re craving something spicy, filling, and delicious. It goes awesome with beer and late night rabokki is one of my favorite late night treats, especially with cheese. The slurpy noodles, chewy rice cakes, and spice are a match made in heaven.
Rabokki is incredibly popular, both as street food and as an easy meal you can make at home. They even have Costco rabokki!
How to make rabokki from scratch
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl, mix together gochujang, sugar, soy sauce, minced garlic, and a bit of gochugaru.
- Simmer the soup with the rice cakes. Add the sauce with the rice cakes to a pot of water and bring to a simmer.
- Cook the ramen. When the rice cakes are soft and chewy, add the ramen and cook it. If you like, add some Korean fish cakes.
Top and serve!
Serve everything up topped with scallions and maybe a boiled egg and some cheese!
How to make instant rabokki
- Make the soup. Open up the instant seasoning packet and add it to a pot with 2 cups water and 1 tbsp brown sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Make the “rice cakes.” Lightly soak a piece of rice paper in warm water and tightly roll up. Cut it into 2-3 inch pieces. Repeat with one more piece of rice paper.
- Cook the noodles. Add the noodles to the soup and cook for 2 minutes. Add your homemade rice cakes and simmer for 1 more minute.
- Enjoy! Top with toasted sesame seeds, scallions, and a slice of cheese and enjoy!